Re-Entering This School Year With Astoria Express Transit
Navigating the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftermath is one of the biggest challenges of our time. To keep operations going, we are adopting new ways of working that will help keep everyone safe.
Getting our students to and from school as safely as possible is as important as keeping them safe while they are in the school building. Students will be expected to follow the same safety protocols that are recommended by the CDC guidelines, as those may change in accordance with the current levels of Coronavirus cases in the area.
Where practicable and weather permitting, buses will operate with the windows open and with an air purifier on the bus.
Disinfecting and Cleaning
Each night, all school buses will be cleaned and disinfected using CDC-recommended cleaning and disinfection protocols.
Student Health Screening
Before sending children on a bus, family members are expected to screen their children’s health at home, including temperature checks, to make certain they are well enough to board a bus and attend school.
Behavioral Expectations on Buses
All children riding school buses should follow health and safety guidelines at all times. If a student repeatedly fails to comply with health and safety protocol on the bus, the bus driver will notify the base for additional action that may need to take place for everyone’s safety. Ensuring that every child is safe is our top priority. A safe and supportive school bus transportation experience depends upon the efforts of all members, the parent/ guardian, child/ren, and the bus driver.
- A hand sanitizing station should be installed at the front of buses for use by students
- Food/snacks and beverages are not allowed to be eaten on the bus at any time.
- Windows and roof hatches will be open while operating the bus (weather permitting).
How We Keep Your Child Safe
At Astoria Express, the Safety of your child is our main focus. This is why every one of our drivers:
- Is 19-A certified
- Has a Clean CDL license with no prior record
- Friendly, & Caring To Your Child
Our Drivers are trained and qualified professionals that receive in-house training, safety courses, ongoing random drug and alcohol testing and annual medical examinations.
All of our Vehicles go through:
- Regulatory inspections by our qualified and certified mechanics
- Every 6 months, inspections are done by the department of Transportation (DOT)
Our drivers also have a daily inspection checklist sheet that must be reviewed, and fulfilled prior to the start of a route and after they have completed their route.
In order to maintain the safety of your child, we also work side by side with the schools we transport our children too. We make sure we have a good professional relationship with the security guards, principles, teachers, and all other staff members at the schools so that we can collaboratively maintain the safety of your child at all times.
Bus Safety Guidelines:
At Astoria Express, we believe these simple rules and guidelines will allow your child to have a safe ride:
- SEATBELTS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Please make sure your child is on time at the appointed bus stop. Plan to be at the bus stop at least five (5) minutes before the scheduled pickup time.
- Your child must obey the bus driver at all times.
- Your child must be seated before the bus departs, and remain seated until the bus has arrived at its destination.
- Your child’s head and hands must remain in the bus at all times, and away from open windows.
- Your child must not have any sharp materials on their person at any time.
- Your child must stand in line while waiting to get on and off the bus.
- Your child must not run toward a moving bus for loading purposes. All children must walk in an orderly fashion while approaching the bus loading zone.
- The aisle must be kept clear while the bus is in motion.
- Your child should show courtesy and respect to others riding the bus.
- Your child must sit in an assigned seat when requested to do so by an authorized person (bus driver, principal,etc.)
- Your child must speak quietly without disturbing the other children.
- Your child must walk quietly and orderly upon entering the school building and proceeding to the classroom.